Tuesday, February 26, 2013

“MY GOD, IT'S FULL OF STARS.”

Night-sky photography is undeniably cool.  Do not attempt to contest this.  It is not up for debate; it is empirically and artistically true.  Now, before we continue, I must offer the following disclaimer:  I know nothing about night-sky photography (or any other form of photo making/taking, for that matter).  I am simply a casual explorer.  Please keep this in mind as we proceed.  Thank you.

Growing up equal parts sci-fi geek and astronomy nerd, the night sky is something that has always fascinated me.  I don’t mean this in some sort of "neo-spiritual," "we’re all small parts of a much greater whole," "God’s vast creation" kind of way.  Nor is my fascination rooted in any sort of scientific pursuit.  It is much more simplistic and childish, and is largely due to watching far too many sci-fi films and television shows as a kid.  I mean, what sci-fi nerd—be they trekking through, or at war with, the stars—doesn’t have their imagination piqued when gazing at those little flecks of light?
 
When I look up, at night, I don’t just see stars.  I see a 7-year-old me flying amongst them, defending the galaxy, in some sort of alphabetically-themed, winged space vessel (preferably a Y-Wing).  I see my ship being wrapped in streaks of bright, white light as I enter hyperspace, or, better yet, making my way through an ominous field of asteroids, narrowly dodging chunks of space debris as I flee an Imperial fleet; accompanied, of course, by a bombastic, brass-filled John Williams score.

Unfortunately, space travel has, as of yet, failed to catch up to the imagination of a 7-year-old.  And since none of the above childishly complex, pre-pubescent, seemingly drug-induced, intergalactic travels shall ever transpire (?); I am left with nothing more than my trusty camera, a flimsy tripod, and an endless amount of tiny, twinkling dots to explore.

THE STATS:
- Worth:  311 words (less is more...right?)
- Camera:   Canon EOS 7D (12mm, f/3.5, 30sec.)
- Soundtrack:  Air – Kelly Watch the Stars (too on the nose?)
- What I had for lunch:  Moon pies (don’t judge. I worked out this morning, AND it’s my cheat day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment